↑ Return to About the Forum

Print this Page

Board Meeting Minutes

MEETING: October 19,2017, 5:00p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center

 

PRESENT: R. Guernsey (Treas.), S. Lyons(Pres.), Marty Wright, Marianne Alciati, John Morrissey, H. Terkanian, R.Elkin, E. Elkin, T. Cole, C. Felix, D. Wright (Sec.)

 

MINUTES: The minutes of September’s meeting were unanimously accepted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT: We’ve had $200.00 in donations, bringing our total to $626.59

 

UPDATE ON OCT. 25TH FORUM: S. Lyons presented a flyer announcing the upcoming Forum meeting featuring the Cape Cod Commission. Essentially, the Commission will be here to say, “Who we are, and what we can do for you (Wellfleet)”. Representatives expect to be in the Senior Center at 6:30, and will be bringing visuals for their talk. D. Elkin wondered who would be in charge of publicity. S. Lyons said that she had sent information to The Banner. Dick offered to post info on the Wellfleet Community FB pg.,The Forum’s pg., & the official Town of Wellfleet pg. J.. Morrissey offered to place the sandwich board on Town Hall lawn.

 

PENDING FORUM TOPICS: J. Morrissey has arranged for representatives from the Library and Outer Cape Health to give us an update on these vital institutions on Monday, December 4th at 7:00 p.m. in the Senior Center. He will do the sandwich board, Dick Elkin said he would do the email publicity.

 

WATER AND WASTEWATER: Curt Felix will get back to us with a date for a Forum on the topic he and Justine Carlson suggested we bring forward.

 

WELLFLEET’S FISCAL CHALLENGES: J. Morrissey wondered if members of the Finance Committee would care to participate in a Forum devoted to this subject: the budget and the choices we will have to make. When would be a good time for this? Harry Terkanian,former T.A. w/ lots of budgeting experience, suggested January or February as useful times. As the T.A.’s State of the Town address is usually given in January, Feb. was deemed the date to aim for. John recalled the subject being suggested before. D. Wright remembered that it was Jeff Tash who first mentioned this idea and, in his absence, nominated him to steer up the possible meeting. This was moved and seconded, D. Wright’s charge being to inform Jeff Tash.

 

CULTURAL DISTRICT: Mary Wright wondered if we should, for the sake of informing the public and thereby making the program more inclusive, hold a Forum on the new status parts of Town will enjoy, a Cultural District. Brian Carlson, from Town Hall, would be happy to present,she said. There were some questions on what, exactly, the Cultural District designation was and what it conferred. H. Terkanian explained that it is a walkable geographic area containing a significant number of cultural activities. The chief benefit seemed to be the publicity it would bring to those providing the activities, and the advantage of the status WELLFLEET COMMUNITY FORUM when applying for grants. There are about 30 people involved in this district formation now. As the stated purpose of having a Forum on this topic was to inform, Marianne Alciati wondered if it, absent discussion, would warrant a full evening. Possibly an announcement of the District could be made by Mr. Carlson at the beginning of our December meeting on Town Institutions: An Update?

 

E-MAIL BLASTS: This past month, the subject of the number of email alerts the Forum should be sending out arose. After some discussion, it was suggested by the President that it might be helpful to, on our webpage, have a listing w/ links of articles of interest provided, and that we could talk about this more when the Webmaster, J. Tash, was present.

 

ADJOURN: The meeting broke up at 6:30 p.m. Our next meeting will be November 16th, 5:00 p.m. in the Senior Center.

 

Respectfully submitted.
David B. Wright, Sec.

 


 

 
MEETING: September 21, 2017,Wellfleet Senior Center, 5:00p.m.
 
PRESENT: T.Cole, S. Lyons (President),M.Fox, R.Elkin, M.Wright, E.Savage,J.Carleson,R.Guernsey, E.lkin, J. Morrissey,C Felix, M.Alciati, D.Wright
 
MINUTES:  The minutes of the August Annual Meeting were accepted as presented,unanimously.
 
TREASURER’S REPORT: We currently have $456.00 in our account. $800.00 is the minimum amount required by the bank for a fee-less account. The Treasurer suggested we find ways to achieve that status.
 
PRESIDENT’S REMARKS and DISCUSSION ABOUT THE FORUM:
 New President Sheila Lyons suggested that we might want the Forum to work more in tandem somehow with the Board of Selectmen. She said that it might be a good thing for us to get on their agenda and introduce ourselves. We might ask them what issues they think we,The Forum, should address.
 
Mary Wright wondered if the Forum’s role was always to present two sides of an issue, to entertain debate and discussion (while remaining non-partisan) or could we also present programs that were purely informational and educational.
 
Discussion of both these points followed. Esther Elkin wondered if we should have an observer at the Selectmen’s meetings. Tom Cole thought that the Selectman’s public hearing process made for transparency, and that we have been ‘pretty good” at picking up on timely Town issues as they come forward.
 
PENDING TOPICS: John Morrissey reported on the status of a previously discussed Forum topic: What’s Up w/ Town Vital Institutions (working title): the Library and Outer Cape Health. John is trying to pin the Library down to a date in November. There was some question of whether Outer Cape would be able to make the same date. If not, D. Elkin suggested, we might have an update on the Rt. 6/Main St. intersection redesign.
 
Sheila Lyons proposed that we have an October Forum on the Cape Cod Commission: Who are They / What do they Do? She would invite them to make a presentation.
It was moved and seconded that we do this,and that they would be our October offering.
 
Mary Wright asked what should be our guide when choosing topics for a Forum: what we think important, or what other people do. How should we decide?
 
Water/Wastewater: Justine Carlson and Curt Felix would like to see a Forum devoted to this subject. In particular, they would like to address the perceived need for a new Town position, Water Commissioner. As this may appear on the next Town Meeting warrant, it would be good if people were informed. They might show what other, similar Cape town have done in this regard. They thought it might be possible to have a November Forum on this topic. It was moved and seconded that we do just that, the two who suggested it to do the organizing.
 
Mary Wright wanted to inform the Board that Wellfleet had been granted recognition by the State: we have a designated Cultural District status. As a member of the Cultural Coucil, Mary would like more people to know about this, thereby making participation as inclusive as possible. She wondered if this might make an interesting Forum, and if Brian Carlson, who is heading up the project, to present.
 
OTHER BUSINESS: S.Lyons wanted all to know about a meeting of the Association for the Preservation of Cape Cod to be held on Wed. ,Sept. 27th from 5-7
 
CORRECTION TO THE MINUTES: Just before adjourning, D. Elkin noticed that some information had been left out of the minutes. While all the standing Board member were listed, and all the newly voted on members acknowledged,the term expiration dates had been left off. Dick was assured by Chair of the Nominating Comm, E. Savage, and Sec., D.Wright, that this would be clarified, if needed, at the next meeting and for the permanent record.
 
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up around 6:15. The next meeting will be Thursday, October 19th, 5:00 p.m., in the Senior Center
 

MINUTES FROM ANNUAL MEETING: The Wellfleet Community Forum held its annual Pot Luck Dinner meeting, open to the general public, on August 31st in Wellfleet Preservation Hall from 6-8. The convivial meeting was attended by approximately 35 people.

This year it was our pleasure to honor our Town Moderators, past and present: Dan Silverman, Bruce Beirhans and Harry Terkanian. Outgoing President John Morrissey introduced the honorees, who were presented w/ commemorative T-shirts. They entertained us with an original song about being a town moderator.

Evelyn Savage, who w/ Lydia Vivante and Tom Cole chaired the nominating committee, took the stage to thank President Morrissey for his devoted service to the group and to announce the slate of candidates for Board Members. Sheila Lyons was nominated to be President; Jeff Tash to continue as Vice-President, Dick Guernsey as Treasurer and David Wright as Secretary. New Board members: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright,Marianne Alciati and Mary Fox. There were no nominations from the floor. The assembly voted unanimously to endorse this slate.

Board Members:
Jane Sharp
Mary Fox
Mary Wright
Esther Elkin
Dick Elkin
Justina Carlson
Tom Cole
Kurt Felix
John Morrissey
Lydia Vivante
Curt Felix
Abigale Chapman
Eric Anderson

Officers
President: Shelia Lyons (1yr. term)
Vice-President: Jeff Tash (1 yr. term)
Treasurer: Dick Guernsey (1 yr. term)
Secretary: David Wright (1 yr. term)

The next regular meeting of the Forum will be Thursday, Sept. 21st, 2017, 5:00p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center


MEETING: July 20, 2017, Wellfleet Senior Center, 5:00p.m.
PRESENT: T. Cole, J. Carlson, E. Elkin, D. Elkin, J. Tash, E. Savage, J. Morrissey, R. Guernsey, D. Wright, C. Felix      
GUESTS: Mary Wright, Sheila Lyons, Mary Fox

MINUTES: The minutes of June’s meeting were unanimously accepted after amending possible new board member name to Maryann Alciati.

TREASURER’S REPORT: We have $846.59 in the treasury.  A short discussion on donation requests led to decision to put the topic on next month’s agenda.

ANNUAL MEETING and POTLUCK:  Co-Chairs, E. Savage and J. Tash. Evelyn reserved Pres. Hall for August 31.  The meeting will be 6-8 pm, with John Morrissey as master of ceremonies.  We will honor Town Moderators H. Terkanian, D. Silverman and B. Bierhans, who have all agreed to participate, and we will give each a t-shirt uniquely designed for the occasion.  Board members agreed to come early to help with setup.  K. Bacon will assist in the kitchen.  John Morrissey will ask L. Valente about paper plates and community cutlery.  The cost of the hall will be $300 and kitchen assistance will be $120.  E. Savage, chair of the Nominating Committee, will conduct the election of the new members.  The nominees are Jane Sharp, Mary Fox, Sheila Lyons and Maryann Alciati.  Overall program:  5:30ish:  Board members arrive early for setup;   6pm:  Public arrives, dinner begins;   6:30:  John recognizes honorees, presents t-shirts, calls upon each to talk briefly;   6:45ish:  Evelyn leads nominations for new officers and new members; 7:00: Dessert and schmooze. 

 
We will put a jar for donations on the buffet table, which John will mention in the introductions.

FUTURE TOPICS:  John will coordinate the update on the Library and Outer Cape Health.  Both organizations are good with an October date.  Each will have about 15-20 minutes, and then questions.  The aim is to have Pat Nadle, the CEO of OCH, as a speaker.  

 
– Water and Wastewater: Curt and Justine brought the Board up to date on issues facing the Town in this regard. The question worth discussing, in their mind, is whether we need to have a professional overseer for water issues. They think this may make an interesting Forum topic, and will think it through and make a pitch to the Board.
 
– Privately funded and initiated Town projects: should there be a procedure in place for situations such as we recently experienced with the Town Hall green re-design project, Mary Wright asked? Establishing a protocol might 1) shield volunteers from the wave of public criticism that seemed to surround the introduction of this project and 2) also establish guidelines so that privately funded projects are answerable to the public. Tom Cole did mention that this project was reviewed by the Selectmen. Mary Wright will formulate this idea to see if would make a good future Forum topic.
 
– Nauset High school rehab. John Morrissey mentioned that this expensive project could be of general interest. Chris Easley from the School Comm. might be a good speaker, as would Fred Mc:Gee from the Finance Comm.
 
– Wellfleet’s Finances: Jeff Tash suggested that someone from the Finance Comm. might be able to address this timely topic. Must we always have a Prop 2 override? Can we bear rising taxes, or should we consider limiting Town services? He would like someone from the Fin. Comm. to articulate the possibilities.
 
-Energy Saving Program: Dick Elkin thinks that there should be a Forum evening to introduce Part 2 of the Solarize Wellfleet program. November could be the ideal time,and he is prepared to organize.
 
ADOPT A HIGHWAY PROGRAM: Dick Guernsey announced that the Chamber of Commerce would be (or should be asked to) taking over the Forum’s portion of this highway clean-up program. There doesn’t any longer seem to be the interest from the Forum that there once was.
 
SHOULD the FORUM TRY to PROMOTE COMPROMISE….or simply present various sides and aspects of an issue? Esther Elkin wondered if there were a way we could attempt to forge compromise,perhaps by introducing measures to promote such at meetings. Mary Wright seemed to think that our job was to inform. Mary Fox wondered if we could ask the audience as they leave to think of a solution to the subject just presented. Dick Guernsey thought that people would need time to digest the information they had just heard before coming to any conclusions or compromises.
 
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up at 6:15. The next regular Forum Board meeting will be September 21st, 5:00 p.m., at the Senior Center. Our Annual Meeting, a pot luck, will be Thursday, 8/31.
 
Respectfully submitted,
David Wright/Esther Elkin,who shared Secretarial duties
 

 

MEETING: June 15, 2017, Wellfleet Senior Center, 5:00p.m.
PRESENT: T.Cole, H. Terkanian, J.Carlson, E. Elkin, D. Elkin, J.Tash, E.Savage, J. Morrisey, R.Guernsey,D.Wright GUESTS: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright, Rachel Brown, Sheila Lyons

PRESIDENTS REMARKS: John Morrissey spoke about the origins of the Forum, it’s history and its purpose as a non-partisan organization to facilitate timely discussion of local matters of importance,always striving to present both sides of the issue.

MINUTES: The minutes of May’s meeting were unanimously accepted.
TREASURER’S REPORT: We have $846.59 in the treasury

DISCUSSION of PREVIOUS EVENT: All agreed that the Town Hall meeting w/ State Rep. and Senator, organized by Esther Elkin, was a complete success. The turnout was surprisingly good, and the content/questions meaningful and well-addressed. Some wondered if the taped meeting could be added, via a link, to our website. Also, it was suggested that meetings be listed on our website in future.

EMAIL: We now have 335 people getting our email announcements, webmaster Jeff Tash announced. If we wanted to add names to it, we could forward them to him, he suggested.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Evelyn Savage, chair of the Nom. Comm. announced the slate of officers and new Board members to be voted on at the August annual meeting. As follows: Sheila Lyons, President; Jeff Tash, Vice -President; David Wright, Secretary; Richard Guernsey, Treasurer.
New Board Members: Jane Sharp, Mary Wright, and possibly Rachel Brown,Maryann Alcinate and Mary Fox. Does Kurt Felix want to remain on the Board?

ANNUAL MEETING: Co-Chairs, E. Savage and J. Tash. D. Guernsey cautioned that if we want to hold the meeting at Pres. Hall we need to set a date soon. The consensus was that we should have a pot luck. Aside from nominating new members and officers, we would honor Town Moderators, namely H. Terkanian, D. Silverman and B. Beirhans.

FUTURE TOPICS: Would October be a good choice for an update on the Library and Outer Cape Health, something J. Morrissey would continue to co-ordinate?

Would Sept. or October be good for a presentation on Water and Wastewater? The two water committees in town want to argue for hiring a professional water commissioner. Justine Carlson would co-ordinate, knowing that an overall picture must be presented, not one advocating any particular stance.

Jeff Tash suggested a meeting on the Town’s financial challenges. How do we address them? He thought someone from the Finance Committee (like Fred Mc:Gee)would make a good presenter.

D. Elkin talked about his desire to have a “Solarize Plus” forum to inform homeowners about a new program beginning soon on the Outer Cape.

Harry Terkanian suggested a program on the six million dollar Nauset High school renovation project. Chris Easley, our School Board member,might be invited to speak.

As none of this was decided, a July Board meeting will be required.

ADJOURN: It was moved and seconded to adjourn at 6:15 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: July 20th, 5:00 p.m. Senior Center.

Respectfully submitted,
David Wright, Sec.

 


 

MEETING: MAY 18TH, 5:00 p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center

PRESENT: R. Guernsey, J. Morrissey, J. Tash, J. Carlson, D. Elkin, E. Elkin, E. Savage, D. Wright

Draft Minutes: Unanimously accepted as presented

Treasurer’s Report: Status quo

NEW FORUM OFFICERS: It was decided that the nominating committee will be: E. Savage (chair), L. Vivante (co-chair), T. Cole, E. Elkin

(D. Guernsey,organizer of the Forum’s Adopt-a Highway crew, wondered if the 2 fellows who helped clean up last time would be interested in joining.)

ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY: Do we renew our participation in this program, Dick Guernsey asks? Would we renew for 1, 2 or 3 years? We would need a new co-ordinator, as Dick thinks he will only run the program through the Summer. He’s hoping for more participants, and wonders if we should put up a sign to get them.

FORUM DONATION REQUEST: Jeff Tash will post our request for donations soon. Our email list is now up to 251 people. With our increased online presence there have been increasing requests from community groups to announce their events under our rubric. Should we accept everyone? Discussion focused on the desire to “get out the word” versus email announcement fatigue…and the question of the Forum’s true mission. We don’t want to wear out our online welcome. Jeff Tash,who runs the page, said that he will exercise discretion in this matter.

FUTURE FORUM TOPICS: Julian Cyr and Sarah Peake will be speaking and answering questions on Sunday, June 11th, from 12-30-2:30 in the Senior Center. Town meeting format.
Should people be asked to submit questions in advance online? Yes.
We will need a moderator. Ira Wood? Dan Silverman?
And a tech person for microphones, etc.
The Elkins will put up posters/do the press release.
Pres. Morrissey has the sandwich board for Town Hall lawn.

OTHER TOPICS: The Forum topic, previously discussed, on 2 town institutions (The Library and Outer Cape Health) still holds interest…and will be postponed to September or October.
– Main Street? Town Hall Lawn? Memorial Garden?
– Water and Wastewater Justine Carlson would like to co-ordinate with Non-resident Tax Payers Association being here in town.
– Jeff Tash suggested we address the financial challenges facing the town. How will be handle them? More tax? Fewer services?

ADJOURN: It was moved and seconded to adjourn at 6:00 p.m. The next Forum meeting will be Thursday, June 15th, 5:00 p.m., Senior Center.

Respectfully submitted,
David Wright, sec.

 


 

MEETING: April 27th,2017, 5:00p.m., Wellfleet Senior Center
PRESENT: E. Elkin,R. Guernsey,L. Vivante,D. Elkin,J. Morrissey,J. Tash, T. Cole, E. Savage and D. Wright
MINUTES: The draft minutes of March’s meeting were unanimously approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: We disbursed $62.00, leaving us a balance of $701.59

OPEN DISCUSSION/PUBLICITY: What is the most effective?
– D. Elkin has been making PSAs and wonders how effective they are?
-J. Tash says that our mailing list (email)is now in the vicinity of 237 recipients
-D. Guersney wondered if when/if we do an envelope for membership/donations there should be a space for including one’s email address. Perhaps a sign up sheet at meetings?
-J. Morrissey would like to send out an email invitation asking if those seeing it would like to continue receiving messages from the Forum.
-D. Wright said the most effective draw for Forum meetings is the topic itself. We’ve hosted several very well-attended meetings recently,presumably on the strength of the topic, to our ability to contact people.
-D. Ekin suggested we put announcements on the Wellfleet Community Space/Voice webpage.

DISCUSSION of CANDIDATE’S NIGHT: Everyone thought the meeting a good one,with great turnout. D.Wright said that he had written Ira Wood a note in thanks for his moderating the event.
DISCUSSION of PRE-TOWN MEETING: Everyone agreed that there was a great turnout for this useful annual meeting. Dan Silverman has been thanked.

DONATION REQUEST on our FORUM PAGE: There is a donation request now, but the feeling was that it need sot be focused somehow. Apparently, the smallest donation acceptable is $20.00.

POSSIBLE FUTURE FORUM TOPICS:
June 10th in the Library (or possibly a bigger hall) E. Elkin has arranged for J. Cyr and S. Peake to address the town. It was suggested that perhaps our email list of Forum members might like to prepare a question in advance of the program,sent to us by return email from the announcement. It was also mentioned that the Senior Center would be better for filming the event, and efforts will be made in this direction.

-Update on TWO LOCAL INSTITUTIONS: Library and Outer Cape Health J. Morrissey will contact one of the Library Trustees; D. Wright will contact someone from Outer Cape Health. Available dates are: Monday, May 22nd, and May 30th and 31st (Tues. and Wed.) T. Cole, video master will be out of town from May 31st- June 10th.

– TOWN HALL LAWN RENOVATION
– SOURCES of REVENUE for WELLFLEET: J. Tash wondered if Fred Mc: Gee from the Finance Committee would like to address this pressing topic. Higher taxes/fewer services/more user fees (such as pay parking meters). What will Wellfleet’s future be?
ADJOURN: The meeting broke up, after unanimous agreement, at 6:02 pm. The next Forum meeting will be Thursday, May 18th at 5:00, in the Senior Center.

 


 

MEETING: 5:00p.m., Thursday, March 16, 2017
PRESENT: J. Morrisey, R.Elkin, L. Vivante,R. Guernsey,E. Savage, J.Tash, D. Wright

MINUTES: The draft minutes for February were unanimously approved as presented.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Last month’s balance was $743.59. Due to a generous donation, our new balance is $763.59

SCHEDULED EVENTS: 1)Candidate’s Night: There are now 2 candidates running for Selectman. Other offices are running uncontested. The Forum event is scheduled for Monday, April 3, in the Senior Center, Ira Wood moderating. Co-ordinators are E. Savage and L. Vivante.

2) Pre-Town Meeting: Scheduled for April 19th, Senior Center, Dan Silverman moderating, David Wright co-ordinating. *

FUTURE FORUM TOPICS: A Forum presentation updating townspeople on the status of various municipal projects (and those affecting us). Three “institutions” proposed to present:

-The Wellfleet Public Library (John Morrissey, trustee and liaison)

 -Outer Cape Health Services (David Wright has spoken to Dan Hood,who is willing to speak to us.)

 -The Swap Shop (Lydia Vivante of the Recycling Comm. seems the logical liaison)

 -also mentioned: Town Hall lawn. Are there changes still planned for it, D. Elkin asked? What will it look like?

 -Esther Elkin will continue to pursue Julian Cyr/S. Peake to see if they would address our Forum

– Pay parking in Wellfleet? (J. Morrissey will call T.S. to see what the status of this notion is.

– Main St. Route 6 intersection re-vamp. Any news? Scheduled for 2018

A few of our proposed topics might fit under the umbrella of a discussion posing this question: If there is a financial squeeze in Wellfleet, which direction would you rather see the Town go in addressing it: high taxes, or fewer services? Jeff Tash proposed this as a Forum topic for September. He also favorably recalled previous Forums whose topic was: What’s on your Mind, Wellfleet, and suggested we might try this again.

ADJOURN: The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m.

The next meeting will be April 20th, Senior Center, 5:00 p.m.

 

Permanent link to this article: http://wellfleetforum.org/abouttheforum/board-meeting-minutes/